18.387 page imaging without dismembering

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:40:51 +0000

         Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:30:52 +0000
         From: "Kevin Hawkins" <kshawkin_at_umich.edu>
         Subject: RE: 18.373 page imaging without dismembering?

I recommend consulting a digital preservation librarian in a research
library. Major universities are increasingly involved in the very kind of
digitization you are proposing and have hardware (such as planetary
scanners) to accomplish what you need or have relationships with
digitization vendors that do the work for them. Some (such as the
University of Michigan) even perform digitization work for a fee for other
institutions that do not have the equipment or expertise to do their own
digitization.

You might look at the following to get an idea of what all might be
involved:

http://www.umdl.umich.edu/dcs/index.html
http://images.library.uiuc.edu/resources/

I'm not directly involved in this type of digitization, so there may be
better resources on the topic.

Kevin Hawkins