18.392 new on WWW: Innovate 12/04, 1/05

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 06:46:28 +0000

         Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 06:34:46 +0000
         From: "James L. Morrison" <morrison_at_unc.edu>
         Subject: December/January Issue of Innovate

The December 2004/January 2005 issue of Innovate will be available at
http://innovateonline.info one minute after midnight ET on December 1. I am
distributing this announcement now because one minute after midnight on
December 1 ET I will be on a heavier-than-air craft winging my way to
participate in the Online Educa Berlin conference that begins later that
day. :-)

Innovate is a peer-reviewed, bimonthly e-journal published as a public
service by the Fischler School of Education and Human Services at Nova
Southeastern University. It features creative practices and cutting-edge
research on the use of information technology to enhance education.

The issue begins with my interview of Bill Graves, a pioneer in information
management. Graves offers insights on service, program, and course redesign
strategies and explains how they can improve educational delivery while
lowering institutional costs.

The authors of our second article use research on adult learning to
identify pedagogical strategies and practical techniques for writing
instructional articles in adult online education. Verne Moreland and
Herbert Bivens put their recommendations into concrete form with an
alternate version of their Innovate article in prime educational format.

Bruce Howerton and Nicholas Moss follow with individual articles on
multimedia teaching resources at a prominent dental school. Howerton
reviews the technical potential of three software programs to enliven
traditional dental lectures. Moss describes his classroom use of these
programs, complete with results and student reactions. Both authors provide
sample multimedia materials for readers to explore.

The next two articles focus on online instruction. John Sener discusses the
scrutiny that online learning constantly undergoes, pointing out the
problematic nature of comparing it to traditional education and arguing for
a separate frame of evaluation. Mark Mabrito leads us into the heart of the
online learning experience with a review of the tools, techniques, and
policies he uses to enhance interaction on three fronts.

The issue concludes with another interview, a conversation between board
member Scott Windham and Dee Dickinson, the chief learning officer of New
Horizons for Learning. Dickinson reflects on her organization's past,
present, and future and points readers to its amazing array of resources.

Logging on is simple--but we invite you to do more than simply read. Use
the journal's one-button features to comment on articles, share material
with colleagues and friends, and participate in Innovate-Live webcasts and
discussion forums. Join us in exploring the best uses of technology to
improve the ways we think, learn, and live.

Please forward this announcement to appropriate mailing lists and to
colleagues who want to use IT tools to advance their work.

Many thanks.

Jim

----
James L. Morrison
Editor-in-Chief, Innovate
http://www.innovateonline.info
Professor Emeritus of Educational Leadership
UNC-Chapel Hill
http://horizon.unc.edu