18.416 "Deck us all with Boston Charlie"!

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:57:45 +0000

         Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:52:16 +0000
         From: "Malcolm Hayward" <mhayward_at_auxmail.iup.edu>
         Subject: Re: 18.403 human memory -- of Pogo

My memory of "We have met the enemy and he is us" placed the words in the
mouth of Howland Owl, not Pogo, but when I went back and read (leafed)
through my copies of Pogo, I Go Pogo, Positively Pogo, and a few others, I
quickly realized the line could only have come from Porkypine, Kelly's voice
of cynical reason. Porkypine does say those words in the last panel of
Impollutable Pogo (1970) in response to Albert Alligator who, after saying
"All them characters what dumps anything anywhere...They is enemies of the
people," tosses his ceegar butt into the lemonade tub. I think Porky may be
quoting hisself from some earlier strip, but I couldn't find it. Kelly knew
a good line; his 1972 collection is titled "We have met, etc." SO it is
coming close to Christmas anyway, time to put down such efforts of source
tracing and gear up for caroling. Altogether: "Good King Sourkraut looked
out, on his feets uneven." Or should it be: "Deck us all with Boston
Charlie, Walla Walla Wash and Kalamazoo, Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
swaller dollar collar-flower alley-ga-roo"?
Malcolm Hayward