18.457 new on WWW: WikiBibliography

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 06:48:25 +0000

         Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:31:46 +0000
         From: Gerry Mckiernan <gerrymck_at_IASTATE.EDU>
         Subject: WikiBibliography Now Available

WikiBibliography Now Available

Colleagues/

I am pleased to announce the inauguration of a new Web bibliography titled
_WikiBibliography_ . _WikiBibliography_ is devoted to significant articles,
presentations, reports, as well as audio and video programs, Web sites, and
other key "publications" about Wikis in general and their select
applications and uses.

As defined by the Wikipedia, a 'wiki' is "a website (or other hypertext
document collection) that allows a user to add content, * but also allows
that content to be edited by anyone.

The term Wiki can also refer to the collaborative software used to create
such a site * Wiki (with a capital 'W') and WikiWikiWeb are sometimes used
to refer specifically to the Portland Pattern Repository, the first-ever
wiki. Proponents of this usage suggest using a lower-case 'w' for wikis in
general. Wiki wiki comes from the Hawaiian term for 'quick' or
'super-fast'" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki ].

_WiKiBibliography_ is located at:

[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/WikiBib.htm ]

As of this evening, it contains 30 major entries, most linked to their
respective full text documents. At this time, I would most appreciate
learning of Any and All Other ***significant*** publications for potential
inclusion in this compilation. While I am particularly interested in
applications and uses of Wikis in corporations, colleges and universities,
and libraries, substantial works about Wikis in general as well as
applications in other organizations, are also of interest.

BTW: I have identified secondary works from database searches that I will
review in the coming weeks and add to _WikiBibliography_, if of value.

BTW2: WikiBibliography will complement a planned registry titled
_SandBox(sm)_ that will be established at

[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/SandBox.htm ].

[In the near future, I plan to post a call for significant corporate,
educational, and/or library Wikis for potential inclusion in _SandBox(sm)_
. However, those Innovators and Early Adopters Amongst Us [:-)] who would
like to nominate resources for _SandBox(sm)_ at this time are welcome to
do so in response to this posting].

TIA!!! (Again)

Happy New Year!

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
WikiLibrarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck_at_iastate.edu

P.S. For those over 50 (such as myself) who enjoyed early TV serials,
please click on the SandBox WikiBiliography image for several
HighFlyingAdventures [:-)