18.455 an endangered language in e-form

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 06:47:20 +0000

         Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:34:25 +0000
         From: "Yuri Tambovtsev" <yutamb_at_mail.cis.ru>
         Subject: another language in the electronic form = language of Sokotra

Dear HumanistList colleagues, we cannot understand why the funds for the
endangered languages do not care for the texts in these languages in the
elelctronic form? Electronic form is the form of the future. It makes the
texts available to all the linguists in the world. Our small group of
linguists and students is still working on saving the texts of the smaller
world languages in computer electronic form. This time we have fed into
computer the texts of the language of Soqotra. Soqotra is spoken on the
island of Soqotra, which is situated in the Arabian sea a short distance
from the Horn of Africa. It belongs to the Semitic languages. We are
looking forward to hearing from those who can advise us on the inventory of
Soqotra phonemes from the point of articulation, that is the place of
articulation and the manner of articulation of Soqotra phonemes. We are
also looking forward to hearing to our correct e-mail address
<mailto:yutamb_at_hotmail.com>yutamb_at_hotmail.com from those who knows if the
data on the frequency of occurrence of Sokotra speech sounds were
published? If not what linguistic journal could publish our data on the
frequency of occurrence of Sokotra speech sounds? The frequency of speech
sounds give us a sound picture of a language which is quite different from
the analogical sound picture in any other language in the world. Hope to
hear from those interested to <mailto:yutamb_at_hotmail.com>yutamb_at_hotmail.com
Yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev