18.487 imaging

From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_KCL.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:14:01 +0000

   [1] From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim_at_panix.com> (14)
         Subject: Re: 18.482 imaging

   [2] From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois (132)
                 Lachance)

         Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:10:23 +0000
         From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim_at_panix.com>

On the other hand, see Jacques Hadamard, The Psychology of Invention in the
Mathematical Field, already decades old. It was published by Dover;
Hadamard's thesis is that even the 'doing' of mathematics is essentially
non-verbal, non-linguistic; there is extensive data in it, including
testimony by Einstein who talks about moving grey shapes. I know when I'm
programming or otherwise dealing with technical issues (which admittedly
I'm fairly much a novice), I never think in terms of code - again, only in
moving shapes around. The verbal/coded output comes much later in the game.
- Alan

nettext http://biblioteknett.no/alias/HJEMMESIDE/bjornmag/nettext/
http://www.asondheim.org/
WVU 2004 projects: http://www.as.wvu.edu/clcold/sondheim/