18.527 author's rights

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:41:09 +0000

         Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:23:08 +0000
         From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
         Subject: Re: 18.523 author's rights

Duncan Campbell wrote:

> Unless a book is originated electronically, POD can be a relatively
> expensive option, and in these cases, most publishers -- quite rightly,

I am a bit puzzled by the claim that Print on Demand is a "relatively
expensive option". What drives the cost of conversion? Labour? Acquiring
scanning technology? Housing the files? Order fulfillment: billing? Order
fulfillment: handling? Surely such costs are recuperated in the pricing
model.

Quite apart from the business point of view, there is a societal cost. If
Print on Demand forms of publishing encourage the greater circulation of
the products of publicly funded or even privately endowed institutions of
higher learning does that not result in some form of wider support for the
work of those institutions, support that will eventually translate into
funds. Quite apart fromt the institutional view, the greater the
circulation of cultural capital is a prerequiste for the meaningful
investement in human capital.

I know I've shifted the ground from "expense" to "cost." I do so to make
the point that avoiding expense sometimes has costs elsewhere.

--
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/jardin