18.538 call for papers on Video Games and Learning

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:06:28 +0000

         Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:58:44 +0000
         From: "James L. Morrison" <morrison_at_unc.edu>
         Subject: Innovate Special Issue on Video Games and Learning

This is a call for papers to be published in a special issue on video games
and learning. Clark Aldrich, James Gee, Marc Prensky, Seymour Papert and
many others have argued that the designers of video game technologies are
blazing the path that instructional technology will eventually follow.
Imagine 3D learning worlds (in stand-alone and multi-student online
versions) programmed to identify students' skill levels and learning
styles, build accelerated learning paths, bring the students into a "flow"
state, and monitor and continuously assess their performance. As video
games become ever more advanced and video game development and research
programs make their way into the nation's universities, we must think
seriously about this vision. How close are we to realizing the dream? What
advanced research projects are underway? What social or market dynamics
will enable the positive synthesis of video game technology and education?
These are some of the questions well worth tryin!
   g to answer in a special issue of Innovate.

Professor Joel Foreman, George Mason University, is the guest editor for
this issue, scheduled for June/July publication. Please follow our
submission guidelines at
http://www.innovateonline.info/index.php?view=submit and send your
manuscript to him at jforeman_at_gmu.edu Submissions deadline is March 15, 2005.

Professor Foreman will also lead an Innovate-Live Forum on video games and
learning, which will be initiated with an Innovate-Live webcast on February
4, 2004, at 2:00 pm. Details of how you can participate in this forum and
webcast are available at our Innovate-Live portal hosted by our partner,
ULiveandLearn, at http://www.uliveandlearn.com/innovate/

Best.

Jim

----
James L. Morrison
Editor-in-Chief, Innovate
http://www.innovateonline.info
Professor Emeritus of Educational Leadership
UNC-Chapel Hill
http://horizon.unc.edu