18.554 published twice or more

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 06:32:51 +0000

         Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 06:25:53 +0000
         From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org>
         Subject: published twice or more

>Does anyone have any experience with a publication that appears in one
>or more of these forms--physical book, electronic book, print-on-demand
>book? What are the economic and other implications for authors?

My web story, "Going Back Out", was picked up by an online journal after
being published on my own website, simply because I put a creative commons
license on it. The same story was published in print in the conference
proceedings for "A Little Rebellion", a tribute to a social activist named
Bridget Moran, at my home institution. A small example, with no $
associated, but indicative of the idea that some stories OUGHT to be
published in more than one place to increase their exposure. In this case,
the story is intended as an inspiration one for anyone daunted by "bigger
fish" when pursuing his or her goals, and as an ambassador for my science
fiction series. The more ways it gets used the better. There is no more
open solution than creative commons. My novels, in the same series, are
published via the traditional, slow and painful methods by Edge Science
Fiction and Fantasy in Calgary, AB and novellas in the same series are
published via Windstorm Creative, an alternative publisher in Seattle. Each
publishing approach is very different, but each serves different goals. For
the novel series, the goal is to be the flag ship, and relate the saga.
Novellas and the anthologies I am doing with votary authors through
Windstorm allow me to engage people in a creative way and share the joy,
promotion and thinking about life that goes into the whole project. It
allows me to express myself as an author in ways that do not begin and end
with the bottom line. My own experience is, in large part, the source of
my belief that people must know what the mission of a piece of writing is,
before they can make sensible decisions about how it should be managed as a
piece of IP. What is the right solution for one purpose, is the completely
wrong solution for another.

Lynda Williams, M.Sc. Computation, M.L.S. info sci
http://www.okalrel.org lynda@okalrel.org (fiction)
http://ctl.unbc.ca (University of Northern B.C.)