18.594 paying for publishing on internet research

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:23:04 +0000

         Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:05:40 +0000
         From: Humanist Discussion Group <willard_at_lists.village.virginia.edu>
         Subject: Fwd: Call for IPSI Transactions Special Issues in 2005/6;
c/ka

Dear colleagues:

Anyone who can shed light on the practice of charging authors for
publishing submissions please comment on the following. This would seem
different from requiring a subvention for a book, since (a) the author is
expected to pay, and (b) a journal article would, I'd think, be unlikely to
be supported by a funding body. In the following case, the number of
reviewers also seems rather high.

>Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:18:59 +0100
>From: IPSI Transactions Special Issues <ipsitrans_at_vreme.yubc.net>
>>To: humanist_at_kcl.ac.uk
>
>Dear Dr. Humanist,
>
>We are pleased to inform you that both IPSI Transactions journals are
>planing some special issues in late 2005 and early 2006, and you are
>welcome to submit your paper(s), until the deadlines listed below!
>
>IPSI Transactions on Internet Research:
>
>March 31, 2005 -
>Special Issue on E-Education: Concepts and Infrastructure
>
>June 30, 2005 -
>Special Issue on E-Business: Concepts and Infrastructure
>

>IPSI Transactions on Advanced Research:
>
>March 31, 2005 -
>Special Issue on the Research with Multidisciplinary Elements
>
>June 30, 2005 -
>Special Issue on the Research with Interdisciplinary Elements
>
>Each submitted paper first undergoes the editor review, and those who pass
>this first stage are sent to 12 external experts for a rigorous review;
>decisions are made after at least 6 external reviewers respond! The review
>is free of charge, but the authors of the accepted papers ar expected to
>pay the publication fee of E400 per paper (if 4 or 5 or 6 pages of the
>TIR/TAR format), and the additional fee of E100 per page, for each extra
>page, till the maximum of 10 pages.
>
>Rigorous reviewing is the major strength of IPSI journals, which is the
>major contributor to their high quality! Soft copies of the existing
>issues of TIR and TAR can be seen at the web, and hard copies can be
>obtained on a special request by email, as indicated on the web, where can
>find all information!
>
>Sincerely yours,
>
>Prof. Dr. Veljko Milutinovic, Editor-in-Chief
>
>P.S. If you need aditional information, please reply to this e-mail.

>This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
>For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email

[NB: If you do not receive a reply within 24 hours please resend]
Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
Humanities | King's College London | Kay House, 7 Arundel Street | London
WC2R 3DX | U.K. | +44 (0)20 7848-2784 fax: -2980 ||
willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/