18.636 Master Classes in Textual Studies

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:37:31 +0000

         Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:35:11 +0000
         From: Peter Shillingsburg <PShillingsburg_at_dmu.ac.uk>
         Subject: Invitation to Master Classes in Textual Studies

Dear Friends,
       Peter Robinson and I would like to invite you to our Second Annual
Master Classes in Textual Studies to be held at De Montfort University in
Liecester on April 21 and 22.
An 11 a.m. lecture will be followed by a seminar from 2 to 5 on each day.
      On Thursday the lecture will be given by James McLaverty from Keele
University and author of POPE'S PRINTER, JOHN WRIGHT and POPE, PRINT AND
MEANING, and editor of THE PROSE WORKS OF JONATHAN SWIFT (in progress).

       On Friday the lecture will be given by H T M (Dick) van Vliet, editor
of works by J. H. Leopold (7 vols) and by Louis Couperus (50 vols) and
author of ART NOUVEAU BINDINGS OF THE WORKS OF LOUIS COUPERUS.

This event is designed for anyone with a serious interest in textual issues
relating to bibliography, scholarly editing, textual criticism, and history
of the book. Graduate students and professors and all such are alike
welcome. Attendance is free; meals and accommodation dutch; but please if
possible let me know that you can come. Surprise appearances will be
welcome.

Last year, to inaugurate the series, J C C (Jim) Mays and Hans Walter Gabler
were our master teachers. Needless to say the lectures were stimulating and
informative. The seminars in the afternoon tended to get out of control in
the best possible way as questioners and new topics crowded out the planned
events. The discussions were as good as any I've witnessed at conferences
and seminars anywhere.

Peter Shillingsburg
pshillingsburg_at_dmu.ac.uk
English Department