18.645 graduate course announcement & request

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:05:14 +0000

         Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:54:21 +0000
         From: Charles Ess <cmess_at_drury.edu>
         Subject: Graduate course - announcement and request

Dear Humanists,

I'm pleased to announce an interdisciplinary graduate course and workshop,
titled "Bridging Cultures: Computer Ethics, Culture, and ICT". Norwegian
University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway: May 23rd-
June 1, 2005

(A companion workshop (Humanists invited!), featuring contributions from
Luciano Floridi (Oxford) Deborah Wheeler (O.I.I. / University of Bergen)
May Thorseth (Applied Ethics Programme, NTNU) Bernd Carsten Stahl (Computer

Science and Engineering, De Montfort University), and Knut Rolland
(Department of Computer and Information Science, NTNU) will pursue the
themes of the graduate course as described at
<http://www.anvendtetikk.ntnu.no/pres/bridgingcultures.php>. More
information on the workshop will appear shortly.)

One, I'd appreciate your calling attention to the graduate course to any
M.A. and/or Ph.D. students you may know of who would find it of interest
and value.

Two - you will see that a central theme in the course is exploring the
humanities (represented primarily by applied ethics and philosophy) and
computer / information science as cultures - in hopes of fostering further

dialogue and collaboration, in part, by way of exploring how far the
lessons of intercultural communication may helpfully analogize for such
interdisciplinary dialogue. I'm looking for some short accessible pieces
that would work well for the graduate students that explore these
respective disciplines and the issues surrounding interdisciplinary
dialogue. The classic, of course, is C.P. Snow's essay - but as valuable
as it is, I'm looking for more contemporary essays, including ones that
directly address the disciplines of computer and information science as
cultures.

Any suggestions along these lines would be gratefully received and happily
acknowledged.

With all best wishes, and cheers,

Charles Ess

Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave. Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO 65802 USA FAX: 417-873-7435

Home page: http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/catac/

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23