18.649 no long term without cash: Technology Source

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:07:18 +0000

         Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:01:07 +0000
         From: "James L. Morrison" <morrison_at_unc.edu>
         Subject: The Technology Source Unavailable After March 31, 2005

As you may know, The Technology Source (http://ts.mivu.org) has been
archived at MVU since the November/December 2003 issue. Several days ago, I
noticed that TS was no longer available on the MVU web site
(http://mivu.org/) and asked one of our board members who had worked at MVU
to inquire why. To make a long story short, I received a note that TS had
been down because of a technical problem, but was back up; it just was not
linked to the MVU site. After more inquiry, I received a letter from Kirby
Milton, the chief technology officer at MVU, saying that MVU receives no
tangible benefit for continuing to host TS and yet has real costs in doing
so. He concluded: "MVU has decided to discontinue the hosting of TS at the
end of March, unless someone externally steps up and provides us with the
$400 per month of hosting fees. We are open to a month-to-month agreement,
with monthly hosting fees paid one month in advance. Absent any interested
parties to fund the continuance, we will take the servers off line on April
1st. The content rights will remain available for purchase after we backup
and then remove the database content from our servers in early April."

The purpose of this note is to alert you that TS will no longer be
available on the Internet after March 31, 2005 unless MVU finds a sponsor
or sponsors willing to pay $4,800 annually to continue to host TS on their
servers or pay MVU for the content and the costs involved with moving that
content to their server. If you know of an individual or organization
willing to do this, please ask them to contact Kirby Milton (kmilton at
mivu dot org) immediately.

The copyright provisions of TS are that any article may be distributed
freely for educational purposes. If you have linked to a TS article from
your or from your organization's web site, I suggest that you acquire it
before March 31 and post it on your server.

Please forward this note to colleagues who may have linked to a TS article
on their websites.

Best.

Jim

----
James L. Morrison
Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Technology Source
http://ts.mivu.org
Editor-in-Chief, Innovate
http://www.innovateonline.info
Professor Emeritus of Educational Leadership
UNC-Chapel Hill
http://horizon.unc.edu