18.710 exam question

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 06:48:22 +0100

   [1] From: njovanov_at_ffzg.hr (29)
         Subject: 18.701 exam question

   [2] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez_at_mulberrytech.com> (49)
         Subject: Re: 18.701 exam question

         Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 06:43:28 +0100
         From: njovanov_at_ffzg.hr

"Tagging is a subspecies of critical reading". Discuss.

This is precisely what I tried to show (not in an exam, but in a PhD
thesis), segmenting and tagging a (100.000 words long, Latin, and
religious) prose text with a set of stylistic values (TEI "seg" element
with "ana" fields); the set evolved during reading, and reflects how I
"learned the style" of the text.

The counter-arguments of my mentor were:

1) what if somebody else tagged the same text completely differently?
2) could the "level of detail" I decided on for a prose text (how deep
markup should be) be applied to poetry?

Re 1, I believe that precisely the differences of two "critical readings",
when they are made much more explicit --- and, shall we say, falsifiable
--- by markup, or computer modelling, enable us to discuss what style,
and the perception of it, really is. Why did you mark _this_, and _here_,
when I marked _that_, and _there_?

Re 2, my mentor seems to be right. Reading another text would result in
another set of values --- reading poetry would mean that these values
would be *very* different.

(My main technical problem was, by the way, how to process the segments
that were nested, and the segments where the "ana" fields from the TEI
scheme had multiple values; also, I wished I knew more about
statistics...)

(For the time being, the marked-up text --- and its tags --- can be seen at
http://www.ffzg.hr/~njovanov/stilistika/e.html
and
http://www.ffzg.hr/~njovanov/stilistika/
unfortunately, mainly in Latin and Croatian...)

Yours,

Neven Jovanovic