18.736 measuring and questioning impact

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 07:57:50 +0100

   [1] From: Norman Hinton <hinton_at_springnet1.com> (13)
         Subject: Re: 18.733 how is impact measured?

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (32)
         Subject: impact

         Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 07:30:20 +0100
         From: Norman Hinton <hinton_at_springnet1.com>

A strange version of this happened to a good friend of mine. Early in his
career he had always signed his name one way -- let's say "John A.
Smith". But later he realized he liked his middle name better, so he
started signing himself "J. Albert Smith -- and as he gradually came to be
known in the profession as "Albert", his latest articles were all signed
"Albert Smith".

Well his work was very tightly interlinked,and he often cited his earlier
articles. Sure enough someone used software to find 'the most commonly
cited writers' in the field, and by golly, he was three of them.