18.749 beyond being dubious and gloomy

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:10:16 +0100

   [1] From: Ryan Deschamps <Ryan.Deschamps_at_Dal.Ca> (108)
         Subject: On becoming "T-Shaped" Computing Humanists

   [2] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez_at_mulberrytech.com> (126)
         Subject: Re: 18.743 beyond being dubious and gloomy

         Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:58:12 +0100
         From: Ryan Deschamps <Ryan.Deschamps_at_Dal.Ca>

There exists an interesting case study that pertains to the discussion of
becoming a "polymath" and the ideas and importance of developing "go-to"
people for expertise in the particulars of a discipline.

McKinsey & Company:Managing Knowledge and Learning in Bartlett, C.,
Ghoshal, S. & Birkinshaw, J. _Transnational Management: texts, cases and
readings in cross-border management_ pps. 484.

Broadly, the issue is that McKinsey found so much success and so much
demand for their consultation services that their consultants became
"generalists" to the point that they were often not very helpful in
addressing particular client needs. The solution was a knowledge
management system, that involved encouraging consultants to publish, posted
journals and a metaphor that described the goal of "t-shaped"
consultation. Meaning that the consultant should have a good general
understanding of all areas of management, but at the same time develop an
expertise in one. That way, when the company had a "go-to" person for each
subject.

This, of course, goes back to an earlier topic that addressed the idea of
disciplinarity and my argument that "expertise" should have more to do with
the "expert" than it does with the "expertise." In practical terms, it
reminds me that as a library intern, I would tell many graduate students in
interdisciplinary courses to forgo the database for a while -- hit the
encyclopedias to find the "experts" in the field and then steal citiations
until they have a good understanding of what the "classic" writers
are. Then you use the database to fill in the gaps.

So, going back to the dubious journal problem -- I don't think we can stop
this problem, but we can develop communities that can understand the "whos"
of humanities computing, and advise others of the same.

Ryan. ..

Quoting "Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty

Ryan Deschamps
MLIS/MPA Expected 2005