19.041 state of the Internet: what is to be done

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 06:47:53 +0100

   [1] From: "Jim Marchand" <marchand_at_uiuc.edu> (18)
         Subject: Spam again

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (33)
         Subject: information wantonly free

         Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 06:40:14 +0100
         From: "Jim Marchand" <marchand_at_uiuc.edu>

       I did not want to clog up Humanist with talking about spam,
attack-ware and the like, though it does concern us, since people
are leaving the net because of it. I have two good books on spam,
though I cannot recommend either of them; in fact, I can find
nothing to recommend: Ken Feinstein, How to do Everything to Fight
Spam, Viruses, Pop-Ups & Spyware (NY: McGraw Hill-Osborne, 2004;
Paul Wolfe, Charlie Scott & Mike W. Erwin, Anti-Spam Toolkit
(McGraw Hill-Osborne, 2004). Both books are full of good advice.
       Unfortunately, there is at present no fool-proof way to
prevent spam and all the others from clogging your screen, taking
over your computer, etc. Humanist has already experienced the
problem with over-zealous spam filters. It is wearisome.
       Someone offered the advice: "Get a Mac". I hope those who own
Macs do not feel that they are going to be free from spam, etc.
Those pimply-faced nerds attack everything. Wolfe et al. have a
nice chapter on Mac anti-spam tools (Chapter XII).
       Happily, my university offers a fairly good spam filter
service. Ahime, oh for the good old days.