19.216 collaboration

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:02:18 +0100

   [1] From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org> (25)
         Subject: Re: 19.215 how far collaboration?

   [2] From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois (26)
                 Lachance)

         Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 06:56:01 +0100
         From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org>

Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty
<willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>) wrote:

>Being to some degree care-less I've used Humanist for some time (as I
>suspect others have too) openly to aid not just my research but also
>the writing, trying out many half-formed ideas in order to engage the
>help of others in improving them. At times it's seemed almost like
>collaborative thinking and writing. But how promising is this
>practice? Why aren't more people doing it? Are there perils I have
>not spotted?
>Comments?

I think this question is a vital one and the answers have to do with
pre-existing assumptions in the academic process. Presuming it is
vital to your career to be credited with your ideas in a formal
publication, the fact "nothing counts" until you get to that final
product is the problem.

An academic process for collaboration in which incremental
contributions were somehow weighted and valued as they take place,
would make academic collaboration part of the business of faculty
rather than a somewhat risky think tank to chat in.

I believe evaluation of students suffers from a similiarly archaic
paradigm rooted in the technology of publishing and the communication
of ideas dating from the invention of the printing press.

--
Book #1 "The Courtesan Prince" (SciFi)
and related novellas "Kath" and "Mekan'stan"