19.250 call for revelations: Digital Disasters

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 07:21:32 +0100

         Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 06:55:06 +0100
         From: James Cummings <James.Cummings_at_ota.ahds.ac.uk>
         Subject: Digital Disasters

Dear All,

Based on a conversation at this year's ALLC/ACH I have been thinking
of organising a panel of people to speak on the topic of 'Digital
Disasters' for next year's conference (Digital Humanities 2006) in Paris.

I know there have been a number of projects over the years which have
had significant problems or failed outright and I think that these
can help us learn how to avoid some of the same mistakes in the
future. The difficulty comes when getting people to publicly own up
to these problems. Personally, I'm not interested in hearing whose
fault it was that something went wrong, rather how things went wrong
and what lessons can be learnt from this.

Have you been directly involved with a project that has failed? Are
you willing to own up to the problems and talk about what you should
have done differently? Do you have something useful to say about
your own mistakes that will help other projects? Are you intending
to go to the Digital Humanities 2006 conference in Paris?

If so, send expressions of interest and a brief description of what
you'd talk about to James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk before 1 October 2006.

For more information on the conference see:
http://www.allc-ach2006.colloques.paris-sorbonne.fr/

-James