19.309 contemplation and computing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:57:46 +0100

   [1] From: mattj_at_newsblip.com (37)
         Subject: Re: 19.307 contemplation and computing

   [2] From: Ryan Deschamps <Ryan.Deschamps_at_Dal.Ca> (42)

         Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:54:25 +0100
         From: mattj_at_newsblip.com

> From: Steven D.Krause <skrause_at_emich.edu>
> >
>Of course, the problem of technology and "critical thinking" (or just
>"thinking") has been a problem for thousands of years. [ ...
>Socrates on Theuth and Thamus ... ]
>Substitute "digital communication" for "letters" and I think you can
>see how these things fit together.

Thamus was right. The mnemonic powers of pre-literate (as in pre-writing)
societies astounds us today. Who among us can recite a three-hour epic poem?

However, Thamus only looked at the costs, and not the benefits. For example,
it's been argued that Western Civilization's success in science could not have
occurred in a non-literate society, because observations need to be written
down if they are to be trusted with the passing of time, and properly analyzed.

Similarly, we today enjoy amazing benefits from being able to tap into the
global Googlebrain that all Web users are collectively growing through their
individual accretion of factoids and comments. But I agree with those who have
said that in another decade, people will feel hopelessly lost if their Web
access is taken away. Lost in the sense of feeling they are no longer
themselves.

It used to be only hard-charging workaholics who felt anxious without access to
their email. More and more, that feeling affects everyday people; if you don't
experience it, you likely know someone who does. A similar dynamic affects
people's growing reliance on search engines for recalling simple facts, and the
use of blogs and wikis (I like Backpackit.com) to maintain personal
memory (both
short-term and long-term).

>[T]hey will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing;
>they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing;

Quite true. Like Thamus, I lament that aspect. It's wonderful that the Web
helps people to learn so much. At the same time, you never know if someone
mailed you something useful/clever/obscure/intelligent because they are such an
intelligent, well-educated, interesting person, or because they did a 30-second
search on Google. And I do think my brain is learning to become lazy; either
I'm just forgetting how to remember, or I subconsciously know I'll be able to
look something up again in the future, and it gets thrown out.

-Matt Jensen
NewsBlip
Seattle