19.317 contemplation and computing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:09:18 +0100

         Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 07:46:13 +0100
         From: Duane Gran <dmg2n_at_virginia.edu>
         Subject: 19.315 contemplation and computing

    [1] From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org> (40)

    [2] From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (75)
          Subject: Cellphones & Syllogisms

          Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 07:37:10 +0100
          From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org>
          Subject: Re: 19.312 contemplation and computing

Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty
<willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>) wrote:

>for thinking, engaging the brain in idle chatter. There was a great
>line in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" concerning why humans
>seemed to always say aloud the obvious. It ran something like this,
>the conclusion was that they were afraid their mouths would seize up

Cell phones for sure. Action movies. Video game twitch-speed
everything. An increaing intolerance for complexity in a more and
more complex world. That's got to be scary.

>Probably my next culprit would be blogs. Why ponder the answer to a
>question--instead just post it to your favorite blog and allow the
>community to debate its points. No need to form your own opinion
>based on days, weeks or months of independent thinking--you can just
>dump the question into the blog and watch others arrive at a
>conclusion for you.

I disagree about blogs. I see them as attempts to make an impossible
overload situation of input and analysis linear and personal. A
complete change to the rules of engagement for thinking and
publishing that allows people to get in a thought "in progress". Of
course, the blog is no better than the blogger.

>The computer information system and the growth of the Internet as a
>search enviornment has curtailed the time it takes to look up facts,
>but that merely means one CAN find out whether Iceland or Finland has
>colder winters a lot faster and perhaps contributes MORE to reasoning
>than the book resources available to previous generations would have
>allowed. Finding information faster doesn't decrease reasoning. It is
>the lack of quiet time that empties minds.

That's the irony isn't it? The more access to information we have the
more ignorant we become. Maybe it is too intimidating or maybe the
"twitch speed" phenomenon erodes patience.

>But, what do I know, I'm a member of the "older generation" now.
>Those for whom using a phone to contact someone was itself the
>product of a reasoned though process, debating whether it was a
>sufficiently significant matter to justify disturbing their privacy.

Oh, yes, the disruption of privacy! I have come to loath phones while
I am at home. :-) I don't always answer mine anymore.

--
Lynda Williams, http://www.okalrel.org
"The Courtesan Prince" (SciFi)