19.464 relational database and TEI

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 07:18:46 +0000

   [1] From: "Da Rold, Dr. O." <odr1_at_leicester.ac.uk> (59)
         Subject: RE: 19.458 relational database and TEI

   [2] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez_at_mulberrytech.com> (99)

         Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:04:33 +0000
         From: "Da Rold, Dr. O." <odr1_at_leicester.ac.uk>

Dear All,

I have been reading your replies with much interest and even more
trepidation. Although I've been working with computing and humanities
for some years now, I still feel very much like a novice, thus many
thanks for all the stimulating views.

I should have perhaps given some background to the project. We are
funded by the AHRC for five years. Since the outset of the project we
decided that we should follow the keywords: longevity,
accessibility and flexibility, which we are eager to implement at all
stages, including the computing side of the data output.

We are determined to publish on our website all our work in progress as
early as June 2006. We do not want to withhold the data until the end of
the project in 2010. These factors generated important considerations
once we had to decide how and what we wanted to do. All AHRC
funded projects have a technical appendix which gives an indication of
the technical methodology for the electronic output. Our technical
appendix initially proposed the use of TEI and XML for encoding and then
web
publication.

James has summarised the situation exactly:

'I think Orietta's original question stems from the project's dependence
upon the local IT support who understands RDBMS/SQL-based solutions and
has no interest in XML, much less querying it. '

Our project does not have an allocated technical support developer. I am
the research fellow on the project, i.e. I
carry out data analysis, data management, data input, admin. etc. etc. I
am certainly not worried about experimenting with technologies, but I am
concerned that computing experimentation could put the output of our
project in jeopardy. Therefore, in the meantime we need to rely on the
help that our computer center is generously giving us.

Moreover, the aim of the project is to catalogue manuscripts. Our
research questions are demanding and ask for detailed descriptions, but
at the same time I am perfectly aware of the standard set first by
MASTER and then by the P5 TEI guidelines, which cannot be ignored.

Ideally, we'd like the best from both systems: flexibility of querying
to be delivered on the web and standards. (See the paper by Bradley,
the reference for which was posted on the list last week. Thanks Neven,
for attracting my attention to this.)

The data at the end of the project, in five years, will have to be
deposited with the AHDS and they seem to be quite flexible, but I can
understand that from their point of view storing data in XML is the best
option and some of the opinions expressed here give good reasons for
this.

So for the time being, I have started to develop tables and queries in
Access. I followed the principles initially expressed by R.P. Bourret,
'XML and Databases', which Patrick had also clearly elucidated in his
posting:

'make sure that whoever designs the database is knowledgeable of TEI
bibliography standards, as the database structure will need to be
compatible with the TEI markup element model'.

We now have 40 tables in our database, some with more than 50 fields in
them (description of single letters for each scribal hand). This should
allow us to get started on the collection of the data. In the meantime I
hope I'll be able to get more training in Xquery and Xpath etc., so that
in five years time we may be able to have a different, if not a more
sophisticated catalogue.

Thank you all for the very interesting insights.

Orietta