19.479 relational database (and TEI)

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 06:58:06 +0000

   [1] From: DrWender_at_aol.com (40)
         Subject: Re: 19.470 relational database and TEI

   [2] From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org> (18)
         Subject: Relational Databases Obsolete

   [3] From: DrWender_at_aol.com (69)
         Subject: "a given research problem" (16.372)

         Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 06:29:28 +0000
         From: DrWender_at_aol.com

>A brief polemic, a pot-stirring.
>
>It seems to me that the situation Orietta Da Rold has described is
>not entirely dissimilar to the Homeric story of Scylla and Charybdis
>-- the Scylla of database design vs the Charybdis of TEI -- or the
>other way around, as you please. What I'd think the *researcher*
>should be doing is getting as clear as possible the nature of the
>tool that would best answer to the problem at hand -- in this case as
>well as mine, it seems, a tool that does not yet exist. [...]
>
>As long as the researcher's task is put for purposes of research in
>terms of commitment to this or that existing technology, the story
>goes not even as happily as Homer's. [...] *in
>terms of research* the humanities computing problem here
>would seem to be clarifying the emergent technology, not selecting an
>emerged one. [...]

Sorry, Willard, but I don't understand your
"brief polemic". Reading the initial Posting
19.433 to see what is the "case at hand" I think
it was the question of an 'end-user' which tool
fits best her/his situation for applying computer
technology, but this seems not to be a research
problem. If you think in the given case the
end-user has only the choice between two evils,
and you as researcher in hum.comp. can imagine an
alternative tool doing better the job - what sort
of improvement do you expect? Can you please
define clearly what you see as the
<emph>research</emph> problem at hand? what would
be the evil in using relational database
management? what evil in using TEI? (Botth Skylla
and Charybdis would be the end of Odysseus' travel, right?)

Catalogues of manuscripts were printed long
before computer technology was invented,
consequently this sort of Information Storing &
Retrieving surely is not the problem at hand. But what else?

Sincerly yours,
Herbert