19.549 VR scholarly editions

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 07:37:04 +0000

         Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 07:28:03 +0000
         From: "Alan Liu" <ayliu_at_english.ucsb.edu>
         Subject: RE: 19.544 VR scholarly editions

One might extend this discussion in two directions, each of which alters--or
redefines--the emphasis on "immersion" so that our hypothetical VR edition
does not necessarily tend toward what Julia so deftly sketches as an
n-dimensional variorum.

          (1) We might think instead in terms of augmented reality rather than
virtual reality. The short videos of the Magic Book device in action at
http://www.hitl.washington.edu/magicbook/ give good sense of how an AR
edition might work--overlaying a physical book or environment (e.g., a
museum installation) with measured, controllable supplements of information.
Something like this experience also characterizes the Google Earth product
on the 2D screen, where one can turn on or off layers of supplementary
location information (e.g., schools, streets, etc.). It may be that
"augmentation" is a more suitable paradigm in a scholarly context because it
suggests an analytical, differential, and selective mode of "immersion."

          (2) I suggested casually at one point in my _Laws of Cool_ book that
"An instructor, for example, could take students into an immersive CAVE
virtual reality environment to walk the Lakes with an interactive William
Wordsworth 'bot.'" In retrospect, that sentence conflates two paradigms.
One might single out here the notion of a limited-purpose
expert-intelligence bot, one programmed to respond in selected situations
(e.g., dramatizing a pivotal moment in a novel) in such as a way as to
demonstrate the constraints--historical, social, moral, cultural,
etc.--under which the character acts. ("Constraints" here is informed by
Brenda Laurel's theory of interface design in _Computers as Theatre_. The
notion of role-playing characters in novels is informed by Jerome McGann and
Johanna Drucker's Ivanhoe Game,
http://www.speculativecomputing.org/ivanhoe/). The paradigm of the bot
places the emphasis less on immersion than on interaction, defined in this
case as temporally or narratively sequenced doses of constraints able to
teach (inform) about "reality" (constraint).

          Incidentally, Neal Stephenson's novel, _The Diamond Age, or, A Young
Lady's Illustrated Primer_ (1995) contains as one of its central elements a
fine fantasia of how an interactive, immersive "book" would work in
education.