19.626 Google

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:26:28 +0000

   [1] From: Dimitar Iliev <d_iliev_at_abv.bg> (52)
         Subject: Re: 19.621 Google

   [2] From: Patrick Durusau <patrick_at_durusau.net> (66)

         Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:02:33 +0000
         From: Dimitar Iliev <d_iliev_at_abv.bg>

>There are certainly people capable of doing this, but I do not think
>it is wise to advocate criminal activities that amount to (cyber-)
>terrorism.
>
>What _is_ possible that allows to anonymise messages so that the source
>can be guaranteed not to be determined in the network, those are used
>by political dissenters -- and paedophiles alike -- such as Freenet
>designed by former MSc student Ian Clark from Edinburgh, which is now
>widely deployed.
>
>What is _not_ possible is to forget about the law and just turn grad
>students into Cyberwarfare activists. In a democracy, such things are
>left to the executive branch of the system, and it should be the
>signpost of a democratic society that it uses only democratic means,
>even against those who do not themselves subscribe to democracy.
>
>A democracy that turns itself toward terrorist methods would not be
>worth having.
>
> Regards,
> Jochen

The watermark of democracy from Antiquity onwards
has always been that the abstract general
principles of what law and justice are and should
be stand above any paricular law. This gives the
citizens the right to rebel when the particular
laws dont work according to the general principles of democracy and justice.
Now, legislation that makes possible for those in
power to control what information the citizens
receive, but doesn't make possible for the
citizens to have access to all the information
they want unless they're ready to be imprisoned
for that, is by no means a democratic
legislation. and thus should be fought.
Breaking censorship and gaining access to levels
of information that the authorities claim should
be inaccessible for the common public does not
(at least not always) amount to terrorism. We
should be careful in using this commonly misused
term. terrorism is hurting innocent people for
causes, just or unjust, they have nothing to do
with (see the London and Madrid bombings).
Breaking Internet censorship virtually hurts nobody.

Best regards,
Dimitar Iliev
phD student in classics
University of Sofia