19.737 events: XTeXT workshop; ALN conference

From: Humanist Discussion Group <willard.mccarty_at_KCL.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 08:55:46 +0100

   [1] From: Stéfan Sinclair <sgsinclair_at_gmail.com>(by way
         Subject: XTeXT Workshop (May 8th, McMaster University)

   [2] From: "Sloan-C ALN Conference" <aln_at_dcesupport.ucf.edu> (25)
         Subject: Sloan-C ALN Conf. - Call for Papers Deadline
                 Approaching: April 30th, 2006

         Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:08:49 +0100
         From: Stéfan Sinclair <sgsinclair_at_gmail.com>(by way

Dear Colleagues,

I'm very pleased to announce a TAPoR-sponsored technical workshop on
developing applications with XTeXT, an XML-aware search and retrieval
system. XTeXT is available within TAPoR for fast search and analysis
operations on text repositories; it can also be integrated into other
applications.

When: May 8th 10am-4pm
Where: TSH 202, McMaster University
Instructor: Rob Good (http://isagn.com/xtext.htm)

More information on the workshop below. If you're interested, please
respond to me (St=E9fan Sinclair) directly at my regular email address,
which starts with my user handle "sgs" and uses the domain name
"mcmaster.ca". Space in the workshop is limited. For more information
on TAPoR, please see http://tapor.ca/

*** XTeXT Workshop ***

XTeXT is an XML aware search and retrieval system which also supports
development of web applications designed to access the XML in various
custom ways. The core search technology underlying XTeXT is designed
to be scalable and to run efficiently on regular hardware. This
allows XTeXT to search gigabytes of XML and return results quickly.

The applications can be used from a web browser and a webservice
interface is also available. Output templates written in XSL are used
to handle layout and presentation of the user interface, or
reformatting of webservice results.

The workshop will provide a hands-on opportunity to build repositories
and applications within an individual XTeXT installation. Participants
will have access to a server where an XTeXT installation has already
been set up and is ready to use. From there we will do the following:

    - login and set up a browser and shells for further use
    - edit existing methods in sample applications and add new methods
    - design, create and extend new applications
    - create and use Repositories and Application Servers
    - use Repositories to index and search texts
    - create XSL templates for applications
    - use GCL (XTeXT's internal query language) to enhance searches

For completeness we will also cover downloading and installing XTeXT
for the first time.

Some familiarity with web browsers, ssh clients, shell/command line
environments, a text editor, Perl, XML and programming concepts will
be needed. XTeXT is written in Perl and runs under GNU/Linux on Intel
compatible hardware. It also makes extensive use of existing open
source tools. It is under ongoing development funded by custom
development, licensing, maintenance and support fees.

--
[Please do not reply to this message as I use this address for
communication that is susceptible to spambots. My regular email