20.028 fundamentals

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:55:05 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 11:39:56 +0100
         From: Tatjana Chorney <Tatjana.Chorney_at_SMU.CA>
         Subject: RE: 20.021 fundamentals?

that the issue may not be "either (fundamentals)/ or (technology)," but
rather how technology may in fact contribute to a change in what constitutes
fundamentals or how it modifies and extends the existing ones.

I am speaking primarily from the point of view of the Humanities, but
reflecting on the relationship between fundamentals and technology in that
context it seems that in addition to the "old" fundamentals crucial to the
study of the Humanities, such as the development of critical thinking and
the ability for careful analysis of any object/subject at hand (in writing
and speaking), one the "new" fundamentals somehow encouraged by the new
technology is the ability to synthesize/integrate/connect/notice
similarities between a variety of apparently disparate materials or
subjects. The ready availability of a wide spectrum of information from a
variety of discipline pools on the WWW turns research and interpretation not
so much into an exercise that depends upon finding information, but on one
that emphasizes classifying it/ making sense of it/making use of/arranging
it meaningfully in a given context. This, of course, has always been the
nature of the work scholars in the Humanities engaged in, only the entire
process seems amplified and emphasized in scope and speed when computer
connectivity is at hand...

Another possible "new fundamental" (which is also an old one, but which,
again, now acquires a new significance and urgency) would be ubiquitous
training in the ability to recognize and respect Diversity in all its
guises-- rhetorical, cultural, methodological, etc...

Dr. Tatjana Chorney
Department of English
MN 307, Saint Mary's University
Halifax, NS B3H 3C3