20.139 applied humanities; accuracy

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:56:15 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

   [1] From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois (46)
                 Lachance)
         Subject: Re: 20.121 applying the humanities to the world

   [2] From: "Nathaniel Bobbitt" <flautabaja_at_hotmail.com> (171)
         Subject: RE: 20.136 which scissors & how to cut with them

         Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:41:15 +0100
         From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

Willard,

I am intrigued. Who is the audience for making the case that the
Humanities are connected to the World?

One of the uses of the humanities is world-making (and exploring).
That is the humanities at their best
provide a perspective from which to view the show. You seem in your
missive to Humanist however to suggest
that more than pointing to the achievement of distance and the
practice contemplation is required to argue
for the connection. Pragmatic response to a Why? question sometimes
involve shifting the question to a
How?. Sometimes those students are merely asking permission to be
curious. And an invitation to ask "how
should I be interested in that or whatever" can quickly morph into
"how am I to be interested". Dropping
the _should_ removes a barrier and allows students to develop style,
their style for their life as they
are living it.

Now if you are talking to deans and the heads of industry, the
argument from freedom may not be the most
appropriate one to secure support. The argument takes a second step:
freedom (based in discipline) can
augments the chances for diversity to flourish and where diversity
flourishes there are greater chances for
inovation. It is the arguent for maintaining intellectual ecologies.

The humanities in short are necessary for the reproduction of the
world and the finding of a place for the
self and its others in the reproduced world. Without potential there
is no reproduction. The humanities
preserve potential.

--
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large