20.143 defining humanities computing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:59:26 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 08:55:25 +0100
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
         Subject: Re: 20.141 defining humanities computing

Richard et al,

I am reminded of a wonderful article by Monroe Beardsley, "On the
creation of art", Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 23.3
(1965): 291-304. He argues for a version of the creative process in
which every stage powerfully affects the succeeding one -- in which
each action of the artist, between the incept of the work and the
final touch, sets up demands and suggestions as to what may come next
and places limits on what can. Once the work is underway, he writes,
it is carried along by tension between what's been done and what
might have been done, leaving deficiencies and unrealized
possibilities. He cites an example from poetry: "as the poet moves
from stage to stage, it is not that he is looking to see whether he
is saying what he already meant, but that he is looking to see
whether he wants to mean what he is saying." This is the sort of
process, of discovery-invention, that I had in mind. It's pragmatic
in that the practice comes first, reflection on it second, except
that strong reflection persists and survives to guide further practice.

"Strategy" etymologically is the craft of the strategos, military
general. Military history, I suspect, would show that successful
generalship closely resembles the creative process described by
Beardsley, though the good general may have more of a plan than the
good artist. I doubt that an experienced general depends only on his
or her intuition. Difficult to generalize (pun unforeseen but
accepted). I do prefer the resonances of "practice", however.

Perhaps you can tell me if the "rhetoric of" movement might have had
greater success if it had made better use of the prepositional force
of its programme (i.e., rhetoric *of* the subjects in which it
occurs) and then synthesized its instances into a methodological
commons, or perhaps just called itself "rhetoric". There's more than
enough in the subject of rhetoric to keep many of us busy for a long
time. The background is fascinating. See Ray Frazer, "The origin of
the term 'image'", ELH 27.2 (1960): 149-61, which fell across my path recently.