20.421 name that calendar

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:03:45 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:52:06 +0000
         From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
         Subject: Name that Calendar :)

Willard

I am appealing to our learned colleagues who have
experience with calendars to help me track where
the elements of the following calendarization may
have come from: Mayan? Sino? Semitic? Scifi? Syncretic?

In this calendar there are canonical hours. They
number 6 not the usual medieval 8. The interval between them is 4 and not 3.

24 divided by 6 equals 4

In this calendar the minimum work day is 4 hours
and the maximum is 8 hours. Shift work is done in
cycles of 4 or 8 depending upon the intensity of the work

4 on 4 off
      or
8 on 8 off

And no more than 8 in a 24 hour period.

This calendar makes use of intercalary weeks.

365 divided by 6 equals 60.833

60 weeks per year with an interclary week on a biennial basis.

6 days per week (4 day work week)

In this calendar there are 182.5 days between the solstices.
Average number of lunations per solstice period is 6.5
A year has 13 months

****

I kid you not when this message was being
composed the earphones were sweetly conveying the
acoustic stylings of Groove Armada <i>good bye
country (hello nightclub)</i> track 4 "be where
we really are" though I=E2=80=99m sure I was aware of a
famous Beatles tune running a counterpoint (* days a week).

All this calendar work was sparked by the notion
that in Canada there is in banking terms are no
statutory holidays in the month of February that
are currency non-clearing days. Canadians
generally have been keen for a while to mark some
such day in the second month of the Gregorian (so-called civic) calendar.

****

This may all be a very acute reaction to the
pushiness found in some quarters for 24/7. But
somewhere somehow some group has regulated
collective and individuals lives in such a
circardian-compatible fashion. Likely a group
whose members in their mind's eye observe 11:55 on the face of the clock.

-- Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

Everyone is a little bit crazy; everyone at some
time has a learning disability;
No one is ever a little bit positive.