20.427 new volume on information ethics

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 06:14:45 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 06:07:35 +0000
         From: Charles Ess <cmess_at_drury.edu>
         Subject: new volume on information ethics

Dear Humanists,

On behalf of my co-editor, Soraj Hongladarom (Chulalongkorn University,
Bangkok, Thailand), and our collected authors, I'm very pleased to announce
the following publication:

Hongladarom, S. and Ess, C. (eds.). 2007. _Information Technology Ethics:
Cultural Perspectives_. Hershey, Pennsylvania: Idea Reference.
<http://www.idea-group.com/reference/details.asp?id=3D6336>

Chapters from some of the most prominent scholars and philosophers in
information ethics, both within and beyond traditionally Western domains,
address a wide range of central ethical issues from both theoretical and
culture-specific perspectives. Individually and collectively, the chapters
will help readers develop a genuinely global approach to the diverse ethical
issues created by information and communication technologies (ICTs) and
their possible resolutions.
The Introduction summarizes the contributions, connects them to the larger
literatures in information and computing ethics, and sketches the
requirements and characteristics of a possible _global_ information and
computing ethics - an ethics, we argue, that will be increasingly urgent for
all users of ICTs, as more and more citizens of the world (now ca. 1/6th of
the world's population) encounter and engage one another cross-culturally.

To our knowledge, this is the first anthology to approach information ethics
from such a wide range of perspectives - including multiple Asian and
African perspectives, as well as those of peoples marginalized in developed
countries.

Table of Contents:
Section I -Theoretical Concerns

Chapter I: The Moral Status of Information and Information Technologies:
A Relational Theory of Moral Status / Johnny Hartz S=F8raker

Chapter II: Online Communities, Democratic Ideals, and the Digital Divide /
Frances S. Grodzinsky and Herman T. Tavani

Chapter III: The Mediating Effect of Material Cultures as Human Hybridiation
/ Lorenzo Magnani

Chapter IV: Culture and Technology: A Mutual-Shaping Approach / Thomas
Herdin, Wolfgang Hofkirchner, and Ursula Maier-Rabler

Chapter V: Mobile Phone and Autonomy / Theptawee Chokvasin

Chapter VI: Ethics of Digitalization: Designing so as not to Hurt Others /
Maja van der Velden

Chapter VII: Privacy and Property in the Global Datasphere / Dan L. Burk

Chapter VIII: Analysis and Justification of Privacy from a Buddhist
Perspective / Soraj Hongladarom

Section II - Specific Viewpoints
Chapter IX: Information Privacy in a Surveillance State: A Perspective from
Thailand / Pirongrong Ramasoota Rananand

Chapter X; Interactions among Thai Culture, ICT, and IT Ethics / P.
Bhattarakosol

Chapter XI: We Cannot Eat Data: The Need for Computer Ethics to Address the
Cultural and Ecological Impacts of Computing / Barbara Paterson

Chapter XII: Current and Future State of ICT Deployment and Utilization in
Healthcare: An Analysis of Cross-Cultural Ethical Issues / Bernd Carsten
Stahl, Simon Rogerson, and Amin Kashmeery

Chapter XIII: Business and Technology in Turkey: An Emerging Country at the
Crossroad of Civilations / Gonca Telli Yamamoto

Chapter XIV: The Existential Significance of the Digital Divide for
America=B9s Historically Underserved Populations / Lynette Kvasny

Yes, Amazon has it ...

Cordially,
- charles ess

Distinguished Research Professor,
Interdisciplinary Studies <http://www.drury.edu/gp21>
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave. Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO 65802 USA FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page: http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html

Information Ethics Fellow, 2006-07, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, UW-Milwaukee
<http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/SOIS/cipr/ethics.html>
Co-chair, CATaC conferences <www.catacconference.org>
Vice-President, Association of Internet Researchers <www.aoir.org>
Professor II, Globalization and Applied Ethics Programmes
<http://www.anvendtetikk.ntnu.no/pres/bridgingcultures.php>

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23