20.463 historical newspaper archives

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:20:20 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:14:05 +0000
         From: "Dot Porter" <dporter_at_uky.edu>
         Subject: Re: 20.462 historical newspaper archives: best practices?

Dear Neven,

You should have a look at the National Digital Newspaper Program,
sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library
of Congress (http://www.neh.gov/projects/ndnp.html). The projects
funded though this initiative are preparing historic newspapers for
online presentation. The Library of Congress website is here:

http://www.loc.gov/ndnp/

It looks like that one includes technical specs and maybe links to
presentations.

Though I'm not involved in the project, the University of Kentucky
Digital Libraries was one of the first groups funded through this
initiative, and is the only group (I am led to understand) that is
doing all the work in-house rather than contracting out. The UKy NDNP
site is here:

http://www.uky.edu/Libraries/NDNP/welcome.html

I expect the project leader would be glad to answer any questions you
might have.

Dot Porter

--
Dot Porter, University of Kentucky