20.564 humanities computing / digital humanities

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:12:01 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:05:03 +0100
         From: "Joseph Raben" <joeraben_at_cox.net>
         Subject: Re: 20.561 humanities computing / digital humanities

One aspect of this problem of finding what we are looking for is
reflected in my experience with an article on echoes of Coleridge's
poetry in Shelley's early efforts. Donald Reiman, who probably knew
Shelley's work better at that time than anyone else, said that he was
amazed at how many of these echoes he had not noticed until they were
pointed out to him. It was this reaction that encouraged me to
believe that the computer, which did not know what it was looking
for, could call attention to similar echoes that have escaped our
attention because we have not been looking for them.