21.118 pedagogical value of simulations

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:19:09 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

   [1] From: sramsay_at_unlserve.unl.edu (30)
         Subject: Re: 21.112 pedagogical value of simulations

   [2] From: "John G. Keating" <john.keating_at_nuim.ie> (130)

         Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:11:18 +0100
         From: sramsay_at_unlserve.unl.edu

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:38:19PM +0100, Humanist Discussion Group
(by way of Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>) wrote:
> Where do we sort in all this? Is it fair to say that since the
> phenomena we study are also not directly observable, our simulacra
> play a similar role? If we make a distinction between modelling
> something we can get to otherwise, e.g. by reading or looking, and
> simulating that which we cannot get to except after the fact, such as
> possible patterns of influence, then could we draw a parallel between
> computational physics and, say, a computational literary studies? Are
> statistical studies of literature an example?

I am reminded of a visit I made a few years ago to a robotics lab at a
university CS department, where they were studying stereoscopic
vision. Their main robot was a large, lumbering beast -- in essence,
a full-size PC motherboard mounted atop a six-wheeled chassis -- that
navigated the room by judging distances between objects. It was the
sort of thing that required lots of people to keep it up and running.

Being a software guy, I naturally asked the question: "Why build all
this in hardware? Why not just create a simulation that can prove
that your idea is sound?"

I'll never forget the director's answer. He looked at me and said,
"Because simulations are doomed to success."

Steve

--
Stephen Ramsay
Assistant Professor