21.123 the greatest threat

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:27:09 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:16:45 +0100
         From: Dr Tatjana Chorney <Tatjana.Chorney_at_SMU.CA>
         Subject: Re: 21.113 the greatest threat?

>So let me ask in this spirit what is the greatest threat posed by
>computing? For purposes of sharpening the discussion, if any ensues,
>let's begin with the world marked out by the research we do. What
>about computing most threatens this world?

Could it also be that aspects of the so called "democratizing power of
the digital media" threaten vestiges of the ivory tower mentality
embodied-- sometimes-- in the idea of the peer-review system? It seems
to me that in many ways, traditonally, the concept is built on the
assumption of specialized disciplinary knowledge understood by many in
terms of landlocked principalities--the quality assurance seems to rest
on 'plowing small patches of (disciplinary) ground' for a reputable
amount of time which bestows on the venture an air of deep truth,
objectivity, solid disciplinary knowledge...I am not being facetios,
nor skeptical, since there is a lot to be said about
the need for a system related to quality control, but the kind of
radical interdisciplinarity the digital medium often encourages does
threaten the system thus conceived--it is asking it to be more flexible
and expansive than it is, and this may be interpreted as a threat to
quality assurance.

Many before me have observed that any change concerning relatively
stable realities in general will be experienced as threatening....
something to do with survival instincts that have nothing to do with
academia.

Best,
Tatjana