21.274 tyranny of technology

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 06:42:59 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

   [1] From: Julia Flanders <Julia_Flanders_at_Brown.edu> (213)
         Subject: Re: 21.271 the tyranny of technology?

   [2] From: "hinton_at_springnet1.com" <hinton_at_springnet1.com> (10)

         Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 06:25:50 +0100
         From: Julia Flanders <Julia_Flanders_at_Brown.edu>

I agree with Willard's final assessment--this sounds like the kind of
article that organs like the THES and other similar journals like to
write, without either studying the actual habits of academics overall
(and the wide range of actual responses to the effects and
opportunities of technology) or thinking carefully about what's
really going on.

It seems to me, perhaps uncharitably, that the perceived need to
answer email as soon as it comes in is:

--a new expression of an old urge: procrastination and bad time
management has always been endemic in a profession where the things
you're really supposed to be doing are difficult and sometimes
painful, with a long-deferred horizon of reward; this problem is not
produced by technology

--a little passive-aggressive: "your expectation that I answer in 30
minutes forces me to answer in 30 minutes..."

--not that difficult to solve in practical ways if one wants to
(change the setting on your email program so that it doesn't check
for new mail every two minutes)

What is fascinating about this article is the way it slips quietly
from the problem of technology (too much email, too urgent, not
enough time for research) to recast the problem as a competition
between research and teaching/assessment, with a weird implicit
alignment of teaching and technology:

> >I frequently come across
> >colleagues who have created an unrealistic expectation among
> >students for rapid responses and hence spend hours monitoring and
> >answering their discussion forums. The solution is simple and
> >releases enormous amounts of time to spend on other activities -
> >introduce an "online office hours" policy that defines when you will
> >check e-mails and forums and how quickly you will normally
> >respond.Another thief of research time is the effort that goes into
> >creating and maintaining teaching materials. Rather than using
> >existing materials, downloading them from an open courseware website
> >or borrowing them from a colleague, academics create their own.

This is fine on the face of it, observing that academics don't
necessarily possess the technical skills to develop their own online
course materials efficiently. But it seems to me that what's beneath
this line of thought is the idea (more explicitly expressed a little
further down) that teaching and assessment are really the problem in
a domain where research is really the goal, and that technology can
help if one doesn't try to take responsibility for it but instead
delegates that role to instructional technologists or developers of
online courseware:

> >When anyone says
> >they don't have time to do research, I always ask them to look at
> >the marking workload and how they can find ways to minimise it
> >without reducing the quality of feedback to students. For example,
> >they could use online assessment based on freely available question
> >banks

The implication is that academics are fools to put the same kind of
imagination and individual effort into their teaching as they do into
their research, and that they are fools to try to engage directly
with the technologies that form their teaching practice. In other
words, it positions technology as instrumental for rather than
constitutive of both teaching and research, and as a result assesses
it purely for the success or failure of its instrumental effects.
This, I think, is also why its analysis of the email problem is off
the mark: it treats email as something external that is visited upon
us, rather than as a communicative habit that arises out of the same
urges and motivations we've had all along. The idea of "a few simple
fixes" is about as helpful, as an analysis of the impact of
technology on the academy, as the idea that we could all increase our
research output if we would just all sit down and write 100 words each day.

Best wishes, Julia