21.310 the difference now

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 06:03:03 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 05:56:54 +0100
         From: Geoffrey Rockwell <georock_at_mcmaster.ca>
         Subject: Re: 21.306 what's different now?

Dear Willard,

I would connect this to Searle's Chinese Room thought experiment and
the place of it in the discussion of AI. If I was addressing digital
humanists I would point out how an early experiment of the late 1940s
in the digital humanities by Andrew Booth and company actually tested
an algorithm for machine translation with "a human untutored in the
languages concerned, who applied only those rules which could
eventually be performed by a machine." (_Mechanical Resolution of
Linguistic Problems_ 1958) Booth (who it could be argued is before
Busa in applying computing to humanities problems) set up the
experiment so that the human would not learn, but would behave as the
machine in order to test a hypothesis about the machine where he
didn't have access to the machine. He was, to borrow from your work,
modeling the machine through the human. Searle's thought experiment
to illustrate the difference between AI and HI sounds inspired by
what was an actual practice in the days when you couldn't afford
computing time.

Did Booth's humans learn the languages they were pretending to
translate as a machine? Did they learn something other than the
language? And ... how do we know that Russell's machine isn't
learning just because it does things the same way? Perhaps the wear
and tear of the machine is its learning.

Yours,

Geoffrey R.