21.411 capacious memories & sufficient organizing ability

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:24:55 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:05:26 +0000
         From: "Joris van Zundert" <joris.van.zundert_at_gmail.com>
         Subject: Re: 21.408 capacious memories & sufficient organizing ability

Isn't there a hard- and software watershed in here somewhere? Current
computers are based on the principle of the transistor used as a
switching device, which can represent two states translating to 1 or
0, the famous bit. The transistor can be told to switch to either
state by putting a low current through it. The physics part of that
one is -as far as I can tell- very much understood, even at the level
of the atomic. Going sub-atomic, if I remember correctly quantum
computing would (apart from huge performance gains in certain
operations) add a third fundamental state representing both 1 and 0.
Such a principle, that would be able to register all possible states
of a (combination) of bits, would of course open up all kind of
interesting possibilities yet unknown. Unfortunately, as of yet
practical quantum computing is pretty much in the realms of
controlled nuclear fusion, sure it might be around at some point.

But what you mean by 'mirroring' I understood to be the possibility
of *software* to mirror human thought processes or cognition. I very
much liked Willard's remarks on modeling touching on this (21.401
regularities in law-less practices). In software modelling for sure
there are vast, yet undiscovered potentials for modelling and
mirroring human thought and behavior. But that has nothing to do, I
guess, with the particulars of the hardware carrying the code or
software that's doing the modelling. It rather seems to me that
computation hardware mirrors physical laws, whereas the software it
may represent in any state might mirror human cognition.

y.s.,
Joris van Zundert

On Dec 11, 2007 7:58 AM, Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard
McCarty
<<mailto:willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>)
<<mailto:willard_at_lists.village.virginia.edu>
willard_at_lists.village.virginia.edu> wrote:
   <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html>
                         www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                      Submit to:
<mailto:humanist_at_princeton.edu>humanist_at_princeton.edu