21.416 cognitive science like alchemy

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:55:27 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

   [1] From: ian.lancashire_at_utoronto.ca (59)
         Subject: Re: 21.413 cognitive science, alchemy, and healthy
                 aging

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (62)
         Subject: alchemy and history

         Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:39:45 +0000
         From: ian.lancashire_at_utoronto.ca
         Subject: Re: 21.413 cognitive science, alchemy, and healthy aging

Chemists followed alchemists,
but cognitive scientists today work cordially,
side-by-side, with neuroscientists.
Both study mental behaviour
but use different tools to do so.
In my opinion, the alchemy metaphor falls apart,
whoever said it,
but digital humanists should make up their own minds.

I recommend two get-acquainted books:

Friedemann Pulvermüller's"The Neuroscience of Language:
On Brain Circuits of Words and Serial Order"
(Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002).
A monograph.

Gregory and Bridget Robinson-Riegler's
"Cognitive Psychology: Applying the Science of the Mind"
(Boston: Pearson, 2004).
A textbook.

After these,
start reading journals
where the newest findings and theories compete,
and where neuroscience and cognitive sciences
advance together symbiotically.

For example, three theories now vie to explain
the cognitive deterioration in language
amply shown in the healthy aging population
(not those suffering from a dementia).

These theories are the inhibitory-deficit model
(an inability to filter out irrelevant information),
the processing-speed model
(mental functions slow down),
and the context-processing-deficit model.

The third model, proposed in 2001,
now appears to be the strongest candidate.
As I understand it,
the context-processing-deficit model proposes
that the elderly (those past 65) have trouble
(compared to young people)
in representing, maintaining, and updating
-- within working memory --
information ("cues")
about the context of a concept ("probes").
This accounts for much mischief,
including difficulty in using new knowledge,
and associative failure.

See Beth K. Rush, Deanna M. Barch, and Todd S. Braver,
"Accounting for Cognitive Aging:
Context Processing, Inhibition or Processing Speed,"
in the journal "Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition,"
13 (2006): 588-610.

This new theory builds on results
that independent teams of researchers
have obtained from the simple AX-CPT experiment
with human subjects.

It also supports a theory in neuroscience
that locates cognitive aging
in the executive function of the prefrontal cortex.

Elegant, lucid, and helpful.
Beautifully symbiotic.

Ian Lancashire
English / Toronto