21.464 Digital Humanities Position at Brown University

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard_at_mccarty.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:55:33 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:19:49 +0000
         From: "Mylonas, Elli" <elli_mylonas_at_BROWN.EDU>
         Subject: Job Announcement: Digital Humanities Position at
Brown University

The Scholarly Technology Group at Brown is looking for the right
person to complete our team.

We're looking for a creative, technically sophisticated individual
who will use computer methods and structured data to augment the
resarch process for humanities scholars. We're not an acronym-based
technical services shop; we are part of the university research
environment, with a license to explore content and technology, and
push the boundaries of practice where possible. If you're not
interested in digitality or the humanities, you're probably not a
good fit.

As a senior technical member of the team, you will have the
opportunity to explore and to lead, in a unique academic environment.

An increased, university-wide, focus on the digital humanities and
digital libraries make this an especially exciting moment to join
STG. The Senior Research Programmer will be a technical contributor
and a partner in defining and implementing technology in humanities
research agendas at Brown.

While this is not an academic position, STG has close relationships
with the academic part of the university, and can arrange
departmental affiliations for an appropriate candidate.

This position requires breadth of vision and experience across
significant and disparate fields. No candidate can be equally deep in
all areas, so we are not limited by formal credentials in any
specific area; we are looking for a candidate who can excel in an
interdisciplinary environment. You will thrive here if you can
communicate and think across the gap between Snow's "two cultures."
We will also consider interested applicants without a formal
humanities background. Applicants with a degree in Library Science,
Information Science, or Computer Science and an interest in the kinds
of problems involved in digital humanities projects and data are
encouraged to apply.

Senior Research Programmer - Humanities
Scholarly Technology Group
Brown University

The Scholarly Technology Group (STG) at Brown University is seeking a
senior staff member who will provide technical leadership and
innovation as part of STG's involvement in, and engagement with,
faculty research projects in the digital humanities. STG projects
range from document databases based on XML and XML tools, to
experiments in collaboration, classification, mapping and
visualization. STG projects are founded in high-level information
design, and require current knowledge of web standards and
interaction design. The Senior Research Programmer is encouraged to
have a relevant research agenda of their own, or to participate in
the group's ongoing research into digital humanities topics.

STG staff provide faculty projects with expertise in text encoding
and metadata standards, accessibility, database design, web
programming, digital project design, information design, and grant-
writing. We combine a strong background in the humanities and social
sciences with a deep interest in the meaning of digital technologies
for scholarly communication.

The Senior Research Programmer works closely with faculty, STG staff
and students to carry out digital humanities projects by performing
project analysis, providing technical leadership, system architecture
and programming and software development. Since STG is a small
group, this person can contribute at all levels: to recruit, plan,
manage projects, write grant proposals, stay abreast of new methods
and technologies and disseminate STG's work at conferences.

Qualifications:
* Minimum Bachelor's degree, advanced degree in the humanities
desirable. Formal CS coursework or equivalent.
* Experience in digital humanities, digital libraries or comparable
area.
* Strong technical background in relevant areas, ideally: XML, web
technologies, metadata standards, text retrieval, software development
* Interest in digital communications and collaboration, new media.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills; can formulate
options, develop and recommend solutions, especially in a constantly
changing work environment.
* Ability to communicate STG ideas and results within the group and
externally.

STG is part of Computing and Information Services and provides
advanced technology consulting to Brown humanities faculty primarily
through large and small projects in support of scholarly work in the
digital medium. We explore, extend anc contribute to the critical new
technologies that are transforming scholarly work and helping to
maintain its longevity: data and metadata standards, XML publication
tools, text encoding methods, database design, and accessibility
standards. We have a strong relationship with the Brown University
Library's Center for Digital Initiatives, and often work on joint
projects. STG consists of three staff members: the Director, a Senior
Research Programmer, and a Research Programmer. STG also employs
several student programmers and designers and works with graduate
students who provide content expertise.

For more information: www.stg.brown.edu or elli_mylonas_at_brown.edu
To apply: careers.brown.edu, go to job B00938

[Elli Mylonas
   Scholarly Technology Group
   Associate Director, CIS
   Brown University