21.504 Online annotation in digital editions

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:54:10 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:41:00 +0000
         From: "Christopher J. Mackie" <CJM_at_mellon.org>
         Subject: RE: 21.503 Online annotation in digital editions?

Peter; take a look at the Sophie multimedia authoring tool
(www.sophieproject.org), from the Institute for the Future of the Book
and USC. It's not a digital edition as such, it's a tool enabling
scholars and students to author and read professional quality,
rich-media scholarly texts (eBooks), which also supports the individual
and social annotation that you're talking about. The Sophie desktop
client affords asynchronous, 'standalone' annotation. Real-time
collaborative annotation requires the Sophie Server or embedding Sophie
in a collaborative environment like OpenCroquet (www.opencroquet.org:
Sophie embedding is not yet implemented).

Note that OpenCroquet turns *any* embedded application that supports
individualized annotation into a real-time, collaborative annotation
tool--for example, I've seen it work with MS-Word--so you might want to
think about whether Croquet qualifies for your study even though it
doesn't support annotation in its own code.

Sophie is supported by the Mellon and Macarthur Foundations. You can get
an early version from the site today. Version 1.0 should be released
next month.

Hope this helps, --Chris