21.516 Online annotation in digital editions

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:05:42 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html

         Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 10:58:58 +0000
         From: "Christopher J. Mackie" <CJM_at_mellon.org>
         Subject: RE: 21.508 Online annotation in digital editions

Joseph, et al.; Sorry for the delayed response to your question about
embedding Word in Croquet. Here's the answer, from Julian Lombardi of
the Croquet Consortium. --Chris

===== Begin Inclusion =====
Integration of OS-dependent applications such as MS-Word is achieved
by using VNC (Virtual Network Console) code. We have already released
a reference implementation of the VNC code in the current SDK.
Therefore it is currently possible for users to access MS-Word as a
'remote' application that is viewable within Croquet shared spaces.
The MS-Word (or any other) code can be running locally on the same
machine - or be running elsewhere on the Internet!

For a tutorial on how to get VNC working in the Croquet SDK see:

http://tinyurl.com/3aw3j8

This is a feature that would be great to bring into production within
the context of production-grade Croquet scholarly-support 'application'.

That said, what I believe Joseph saw during my demo in LA was, in
fact, the use of a Squeak-based word processor within a shared Croquet
space. We usually show that as part of our demos of the system.

Cheers,

Julian
===== End Inclusion =====