3.47 angels, cont. (46)

Thu, 18 May 89 20:48:58 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 47. Thursday, 18 May 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 18 May 89 10:00:23 BST (17 lines)
From: "stephen r.l.clark" <AP01@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK>
Subject: angels and Cudworth

(2) Date: Thu, 18 May 89 14:57:18 EDT (9 lines)
From: Joseph Raben <JQRBH@CUNYVM.bitnet>
Subject: Re: 3.39 angels and revolutions, cont. (73)

Date: Thu, 18 May 89 10:00:23 BST
From: "stephen r.l.clark" <AP01@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK>

I spent an hour yesterday skimming rapidly through Cudworth's True
Intellectual System in search of spirits on pins. Understandably, I
didn't locate them. But I came away with a suspicion that there is
indeed such a reference, and that it is *not* a satire on scholastics
(it would after all be a very bad satire), but part of an argument
with Cudworth's contemporaries about whether spirits have a local
habitation, an 'airy' body and so on. I'm not sure what conclusion
Cudworth draws, though he does insist both that spirits are essentially
incorporeal and that they do not exist except in conjunction with some
sort of body.
If there's a Cudworth expert on line, I'd be delighted to converse
on the subject.
Best wishes, Stephen