3.325 PC-TEX (110)

Thu, 3 Aug 89 19:01:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 325. Thursday, 3 Aug 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 2 Aug 89 22:58 EST (31 lines)
From: EVENS@UTORPHYS
Subject: pc-tex

(2) Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 09:01:58 -0400 (18 lines)
From: lang@PRC.Unisys.COM

(3) Date: Thu, 03 Aug 89 10:23:40 EDT (36 lines)
From: Michael Stairs <STAIRS@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: PC-TeX (the good, the bad, and not so ugly)

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 89 22:58 EST
From: EVENS@UTORPHYS

Pc TeX is public domain and available at simtel20
(see the log files for this list from a fiew weeks ago.)
It is especially intended for text with a lot of scientific
or math symbols (indices, subscripts, superscripts, "standard"
greek letters.) It does a lot of nice things for making text output
look nice, such as proportional spacing, hyphenation (it gets 90%
of the O.E.D. correct by construction, and 90% of the rest correct
by guessing, and you can add exception lists.) If you are going
to be using a lot of symbols or equations it would be worth your
while. If not, it may be overkill to get it. You will need at least
5 meg on a hard disk, and a full 640 k ram. You may also want LaTeX,
which has a lot of facility for doing things like making tables
of contents, reference control and things like that. If you want
to make VERY pretty output (and are willing to buy a good laser
printer) then I recomend it highly.

It is not an editor tho. You will need your own word processor.
Also, you should note that it won't like any of the special characters
your editor may put in for such things as bolding or underscores or
such things. So you must have an editor that can output an ordinary
ascii text file.

The documentation for TeX and LaTeX are The TeX Book by Donald Knuth
(the author of the TeX system) and The LaTeX Book by Leslie Lamport
(the author of the LaTeX system.) These books will be in the area
of $30 dollars each and you pretty much need them to use the systems.
dan evens <evens@utorphys>