3.842 CD-ROMs in libraries; PostScript from Mac to PC (77)

Tue, 12 Dec 89 20:22:47 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 842. Tuesday, 12 Dec 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 16:09:07 EST (35 lines)
From: LNGDANAP@UOGUELPH
Subject: CD-ROMs in US and Canadian libraries

(2) Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 00:52:15 EST (24 lines)
From: Roland Hutchinson <R.RDH@Macbeth.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.839 PostScript font from Mac to PC (29)

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 89 16:09:07 EST
From: LNGDANAP@UOGUELPH
Subject: Ruth Glynn's query on CD-ROMs

I forwarded Ruth Glynn's query to our library, and received the
following answer from Virginia Gillham, Associate Librarian for
Public Services at the University of Guelph (Ontario, Canada)
Netnorth/Bitnet: vgi@cosy.uoguelph.ca

>From RGLYNN@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK
Subject Use of CD-ROMs in U.S. and Canadian Libraries

Can anyone suggest an easily accessible source of statistical
information describing the numbers of CD drives and CD products
currently in U.S. and Canadian university and research libraries? At
its simplest, I need to know roughly the percentage of such institutions
that have installed bases.

------------------------------------
I don't know that those figures actually exist. There is a group
that has done an in-depth list of which CD data bases are in which
Canadian University libraries, and in fact I just got a qu'airre
from them this morning for an update. The questionnaire came
from David Fox in the library of the University of Saskatchewan,
so he may have some Canadian information.
Beyond that, the Association of Research Libraries, which
is, in fact, the top academic/research libraries in North
America, has 107 members, and I think it is probably
safe to say that everyone of them has one or more
CD ROM data bases by now. The proliferation of these
in libraries is happening virtually daily. Even
small public libraries frequently have one or more,
so I think this may be a difficult statistic to pin
down.