3.986 humans and computers (87)

Wed, 31 Jan 90 20:30:19 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 986. Wednesday, 31 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 22:15:40 EST (14 lines)
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>
Subject: dehumanizing computers

(2) Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 10:00:00 EST (48 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM
Subject: 3.974 tongue-checking applauded

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 22:15:40 EST
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>

Regarding the thesis, recently propounded by an administrator, that
computers were dehumanizing, let me add this simple anecdote. My 7 year
old son has a computer game that allows him to play against the computer
or against another human. Whenever one of his friends comes over, they
invariably play TOGETHER against the computer, not against each other.
The explanation is simple: they would rather lose against the computer
than against a friend. I suspect that students prefer CAI for similar
reasons. They would rather be told by a computer that they have made a
mistake than be ridiculed in a classroom or marked down by a teacher.
Computers are actually quite non-threatening. Is this dehumanizing?