3.1314 Trees and E-Texts (197)

Wed, 25 Apr 90 17:09:30 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1314. Wednesday, 25 Apr 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 20:54:08 -0400 (71 lines)
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)
Subject: skin vs. bark

(2) Date: 25 April 90, 12:42:44 SET (15 lines)
From: Marc Eisinger EISINGER at FRIBM11
Subject: Trees vs. Plastic [eds.]

(3) Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 13:14:06 PST (36 lines)
From: Richard Hintz <OPSRJH@UCCVMA>
Subject: Re: E-Texts
Forwarded by: Michael C. Hart

(4) Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 14:44:46 PLT (75 lines)
From: "Craig A. Summerhill" <SUMMERHI@WSUVM1>
Subject: Earth Day

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 20:54:08 -0400
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)

If some of you were a bit revolted by suggestion that printing on
paper was analogous to printing on human skin, I'm afraid I'm not
sorry--but I do feel perhaps Humanist deserves a fuller explanation
than I gave on gutnberg as to why I made that analogy.

Actually, I was serious and while the dried human skin alternative is
a bit revolting, I think it may be all too accurate since I believe
it is actually a matter of the survival of the human race.

The new factor is of course the greenhouse effect and that in fact
the fastest growing component of our landfills is paper. It also
turns out that discarded paper printed with those colorful inks is
also contributing a considerable about of heavy metal toxins to the
water as the inks erode off the paper. Paper doesn't decompose at
all quickly in buried landfills (i.e. anerobically) and it cannot be
burnt without releasing all the stored CO2 into the atmosphere.

I see paper as roughly the equivalent of automobiles and electronic
text as the equivalent of mass transit. One can argue that people
like automobiles and will continue to drive them, rather than use
mass transit--but I think it is at our peril to endorse this solution
for its hidden environmental cost is staggering.

Trees are the single best option for the removal of CO2 from the
atmosphere. The forests of North America continue to be destroyed at
a deplorable rate. The United States of America has already started
destroying forests in Canada to satisfy our appetite for paper. We
generate refuse far faster than we increase recycling efforts.
(Sunday 4/22/90's NYTimes noted that each American generates about
50% more discards in 1986 over 1960; recycling is up only 30% and
even at that accounted for only 10.7% of the discards).

Regarding computers generating more paper use. This is a transitory
effect. It is true, initially computers required punch cards and
produced output on line printers. The punch cards are rapidly
disappearing as an input medium and the line printers are being
phased out in favor of laser printers using less paper per displayed
unit of text. In our own industrial lab we are now using software
previewers to display text and graphics on bit-mapped displays before
printing and plans are underway to suppress the distribution of the
final laser-printer output in favor of distributing electronic
copies.

What I would recommend as national policy is that effectively
immediately there should not be any net loss of trees and that we
should actively endeavor to replant as many of the trees we have lost
in the past as possible. A ratio of three trees planted to every one
cut down would seem a sane national policy. I would also mandate
that certain industries, such as my own (the Bell Operating
Companies) be required to replace the existing print telephone
directory distribution system with an electronic alternative in 5-10
years. Already the Department of Defense has mandated the submission
of all government contract bids in electronic form and I would
require all agencies of the federal government to offer their
government publications in electronic formats over the same 5-10 year
timespan. I would make it a requirement for copyright that an
electronic copy of the text of a book be offered to the Library of
Congress and fund that same institution, probably with the help of
the National Institute of Standards and Technology to develop a plan
for the retention of such electronic text on optical media.

In short I believe a vigorous program of tree-planting and paper
supression is prudent and that it may well be our skins vs. the
trees in the final analysis.

(2) --------------------------------------------------------------20----
Date: 25 April 90, 12:42:44 SET
From: Marc Eisinger +33 (1) 40 01 51 20 EISINGER at FRIBM11

> What good are e-texts.
> Only one answer is necessary on Earth Day.
> Unlike ptexts, they don't destroy trees to make paper.

Who couldn't agree ?

Oh, by the way, how do you get the plastic for the key on
the keyboard ? The electricity to run the computer ? What
do you do with the mercury battery of your portable ?
And what about the telegraph poles on which are the lines
we use for our network ?

At least trees can be grown ...

Marc