4.0542 Norwegian Computing Centre for the Humanities (1/45)

Mon, 1 Oct 90 21:38:34 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0542. Monday, 1 Oct 1990.

Date: Mon, 01 Oct 90 17:29:50 EDT
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Help for our Norwegian colleagues

The NAVFs EDB-senter for humanistisk forskning (Norwegian Computing
Centre for the Humanities) in Bergen is now undergoing a serious review
with potentially far-reaching consequences. At least one member of the
Centre has already left for employment elsewhere, and another will leave
early next year. I understand that the cause of this review and of the
discouragement felt by the staff there has nothing whatever to do with
the quality of its work or the wisdom of its direction. According to my
sources, this review is actually the second within the last few months;
the prior one was apparently so obviously prejudiced that it could not
withstand close inspection.

Letters of support, I am told, might help the Norwegian Research Council
reach a fair assessment of the Centre and determine its future. Let me
suggest, then, that anyone with direct experience of the Centre's work
write a letter relating his or her experiences and address it to the
following official:

Dr. Ingvild Broch
Chair
Council for Research in the Humanities
The Norwegian Research Council for Science and the Humanities
Sandakerveien 99
N-0483 Oslo 4
Norway

Copies of the letter should be sent to the following:

Dr. Leif Arne Heloe
Director
The Norwegian Research Council for Science and the Humanities
Sandakerveien 99
N-0483 Oslo 4
Norway

Mr. Jostein Hauge
NAVFs EDB-senter for humanistisk forskning
Harald Haarfagresgate 31
Postboks 53
N-5014 Bergen-Universitetet
Norway