5.0600 Qs: Herdan's literary statistics; Language prog (2/45)

Thu, 16 Jan 1992 19:38:51 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0600. Thursday, 16 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 16 Jan 92 14:12:45 GMT (26 lines)
From: D Mealand <ewnt05@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Subject: Herdan (Zipf) & Stats

(2) Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1992 07:52 EST (19 lines)
From: <MORGAN@LOYVAX>
Subject: Mac HYPERCARD language programs

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 92 14:12:45 GMT
From: D Mealand <ewnt05@castle.ed.ac.uk>

Is there someone on Humanist who has worked through the 3
hefty volumes on literary statistics by G. Herdan ?
If so I would be grateful for some info about the
response these volumes has received.

I remember seeing a query about Zipf here in the past and Herdan
gives him short shrift in his book Calculus..... of 1962
see p.59.

If someone can send me info on the response Herdans volumes
received please send it to me as Edinburgh seems unable or
unwilling to mount Humanist on its current machine and I
no longer use the old machine which has it.

David M.
David L. Mealand * Bitnet: D.Mealand%uk.ac.edinburgh@ukacrl
University of Edinburgh * Office Fax: (+44)-31-220-0952
Scotland,U.K. EH1 2LX * Office tel.:(+44)-31-225-8400 ext.221/217