9.673 tenure flap

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 19:30:19 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: John Kares Smith <smith@oswego.edu> (110)
Subject: Re: Tenure Debate at Minnesota (fwd)

[2] From: John Kares Smith <smith@oswego.Oswego.EDU> (18)
Subject: Tenure Debate at Minnesota

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 00:50:32 -0500 (EST)
From: John Kares Smith <smith@oswego.edu>

Dear President Hasselmo:

Many people find your explanation about the tenure debate at your university
reassuring and comforting. However, as a member of United University
Professions . . .the professional union of the State University of New
York . . .I do not find your explanation all that comforting. For example,
the statement

"Flexibility -- by recognizing the different employment
rights, roles, and responsibilities attached to different
types of appointments; and by introducing more unit-specific
flexibilities, such as, variable periods of probationary
appointments."
In UUP terms, this suggests contracting out. That is, different
"unit-specific flexibilities" suggest that some people will be hired for
a specific term of appointment and then be dismissed.
This would amount to a de facto end of tenure, for what
would prevent you from leaving the already tenured faculty alone to die
or retire while new employees would be hired on a more "flexible" basis,
usually 3 to 5 year contracts and out. While I am not accusing you of
even taking this first step, because of the depletion of public support
and public resources, the temptation to end tenure [and thus
academic freedom] will be so great I cannot imagine many college or
university presidents able to resist such temptation.

I hope that you may prove to be the very rare president who will indeed
resist such temptations.

I would welcome any response you would care to make.

Sincerely,

John Kares Smith,
Communication Studies
State University of New York
Oswego, New York 13126

[What follows is the letter to which I am responding.